BTEC Level 3 Physical Restraint Trainer Award Course
Next Course Date: 30th March – 3rd April 2020
Your Investment – £2,500 + Vat (Which Includes All Food And Accommodation For The Duration of the Course [Monday – Friday])
Become a Properly Qualified Physical Restraint/Intervention Trainer.
If you are looking to become a Physical Intervention Trainer then you’ve come to the right place.
Because over the last 30 years, we’ve probably trained more people in this skill than any other organisation in the UK. And we’re considered by many to be the leading authority on the use of force when it comes to physical interventional/physical restraint in the UK today. In fact, we were the first organisation ever to produce a BTEC qualification in this field.
The Advantages of Training With Us
One of the main advantages in training with us is that our training is legally defensible.
And what that means is we’ve taken the time and the investment to have input into our training from some of the greatest legal minds in this country, such as: Michael Mansfield QC, Gary Slapper, John Wadham, and of course the indomitable Eric Baskind (who has done over 4,000 expert witness reports for court, so he certainly knows what he’s talking about).
That legal input alone guarantees virtually that our training is legally defensible and that we’ve covered every aspect of law that you need to know about when you’re operating as a physical intervention/physical restraint trainer.
Risk Assessed Training
Also, our training is underpinned by very thorough risk assessments and every part of our training works around a risk assessment analogy. And that is actually reviewed and it’s inspected and audited by health and safety professionals on a regular basis.
Our training has also been medically reviewed and our training is medically reviewed by Dr. Tony Bleetman who is one of the preferred Home Office medical specialists who actually is involved in the use of force. He reviews restraint programmes all over the UK.
Now, if you’re looking to work with children and young people, the new guidance states that the training you provide and the techniques that you’re going to be offering must be fit for purpose with children and young people and there must be a medical review to support that.
We’ve already had that done and again, that’s been done by Dr. Tony Bleetman, who is one of the preferred medical specialists for the Home Office.
Why Become a Physical Intervention Trainer?
Being a Physical Intervention Trainer is a great occupation and is ideally suited to people who want to help others and who enjoy training people.
What makes a great Physical Intervention Trainer is the ability to connect with people combined with a genuine need to want to help and protect others.
Physical Intervention Trainer’s play an important role in many organisations and society as a whole.
So if you are someone who enjoys teaching and you are committed to helping others then becoming a Physical Intervention Trainer is possibly the right choice for you.
The difficulty is in finding the right Physical Intervention Trainer Course and the right Physical Intervention Trainer Training Company to invest your time and money with, so before you go any further watch the videos below and see and listen to what others say about our Physical Intervention Trainer Course.
Here’s What Other People Say About Us and The BTEC Level 3 Physical Intervention Trainer Course
The following is a YouTube Playlist of testimonials from people who have already undertake the BTEC Level 3 Physical Intervention Trainer Course so that you can see and hear for yourself their opinions on what we offer. There are 17 here so do watch them all! Many are straight from the heart.
Who is The Physical Restraint/Intervention Trainer Award Course Suitable For?
This BTEC Level 3 Physical Restraint Award Trainer Course course is suitable for anyone looking to qualify as a Physical Intervention / Physical Restraint Trainer (also known as MVA or PMVA Trainers in the NHS).
Whether you are in the NHS, Care Sector, Education Sector, Police or Prison Service, or in the Security and Door Supervision Sector, this course will qualify you to teach and provide you with all of the underpinning knowledge to teach in your specific sector, and you get lots of back-up too and loads of additional resources too.
And, even if you are a trainer with a different organisation, adding this qualification to your CPD (Continual Professional Development) record would be a great thing to do to help enhance your knowledge whilst gaining valuable cpd points.
NOTE: Please note however, that we [NFPS Ltd] will not be seeking to become accredited under the new BILD-Act Physical Intervention Accreditation Scheme and if you wish to find out why, then please read this statement here – ‘NFPS Ltd will not be seeking accreditation under the new PI accreditation scheme that is due to come into effect in April 2020’
All of our Physical Intervention Trainer Courses are run at the Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, near Telford, Shropshire TF10 9LQ – see video below:
What Does The Course Involve?
The BTEC Level 3 Physical Restraint Instructor Award Course is a 50-hour course comprising three BTEC Level 3 Units.
These Units are:
Unit 1: Risk Management and Assessment
Unit 2: Physical Skill Instruction.
Unit 3: Delivering Physical Restraint Training Sessions.
The Two Main Areas
This course itself is broken down into two areas:
1. Pre-course learning, and
2. Attendance of a 5 x day course.
Pre-Course Learning (Estimated Time 15 – 20 Hours)
The pre-course learning is all done online and covers the following areas, which form all of Unit 1 and part of Unit 2 and is designed to help you:
- Understand the Law in relation to the Use of physical force.
- Understand Health & Safety Legislation in relation to use of force training.
- Understand how to reduce the risk of harm and fatality when using force.
This work takes approximately 15 – 20 hours to complete (dependent on how slow or fast you work of course).
All the resources are provided for you on the online platform (which you will receive login details for the instance you book your place) to enable you to successfully complete the pre-course work and send the workbook for marking prior to the course commencing.
The Five-Day Attendance Part
The attendance part of the course covers Units 2 and 3 which are the ‘Physical Skill Instruction’ [Unit 2] and the ‘Delivering Physical Restraint Training Sessions’ [Unit 3] of the Award.
As part of this Unit you will be expected to demonstrate your ability to:
- Instruct others in the least restrictive methods of physical intervention.
- Demonstrate how to work effectively as part of a restraint team.
- Demonstrate various non-harmful/least-restrictive techniques to hold and support a person in a seated position.
- Demonstrate appropriate de-escalate techniques from a standing and a seated position.
- Explain the difference between non-harmful/least restrictive methods and more restrictive methods of control.
- Demonstrate appropriate restrictive techniques to hold and support a person in a standing position.
- Demonstrate how to appropriately de-escalate restraint from a restrictive to a non-harmful/least restrictive technique.
- Demonstrate how to effectively move someone off of the floor to a safer position.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate skills to release from a range of grabs and holds.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate skills to defend against punches, slaps and kicks.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate skills to defend against strangles and chokes.
To help you with this we provide you with a current up to date manual, checklist and good tutor to learner ratios so that we can provide you with adequate supervision and instruction.
Take Additional Awards
Another major benefit in training with us is that you can take multiple Awards when you train with us, too.
Which means you can come on one course and leave with all the qualifications you need if you don’t already have them, to enable you to actually operate as a physical intervention instructor or even set up your own business.
These Awards are:
BTEC Level 3 Award in the Delivery of Conflict Management
For a minimal fee of only £275.00 + Vat, you can attain a Recognised BTEC Level 3 Conflict Management Trainers Award – which is one of the Awards required for those of you who wish to teach in the Door Supervision / Security Industry.
When you register and pay for this Award we will send you all of the course documentation and paperwork including a Learner Handout and Workbook, which means that you simply have to read through the Learner Handout and answer the corresponding questions in the Learner Workbook. To assist you, we have online video resources available as well as links to various other website resources enabling you to gain up to date access to all the information you require to complete this award with ease.
As part of the award, you will be expected to deliver a 30-minute micro-teaching session, but once again, all of the material you require to do that has been already pre-constructed to help you put your presentation together. In addition, we also have a tutor on hand during the five days BTEC Level 3 Advanced Restraint & Breakaway Instructors Course to put you at ease and assist you in ensuring that your micro-teaching session goes smoothly.
Click here for more information about the award: https://www.nfps.info/btec-level-3-conflict-management-trainer/
BTEC Level 3 Award in Education and Training
As many of you are aware it is a requirement of many industry sectors that trainers now also possess a teaching qualification, which is what the Level 3 Award in Education and Training will give you.
To achieve the Level 3 Award in Education and Training you will need to complete some of the work by pre-course distance learning for which we will provide you with all of the resources. To assist you further, all of the course paperwork required to complete the award has been pre-prepared for you, meaning that all you need to do is simply read the instructions for the required task and complete the documents included.
As part of the course delivery and assessment you will be required to deliver a 15-minute micro-teaching session on the course itself, but once again, the documents you require to do that have already been pre-prepared for you, to help you achieve that activity easily.
This Award is run as an additional module on the BTEC Level 3 Advanced Award in Physical Restraint Instructors Course and is a requirement of anyone wishing to deliver Security and/or Door Supervisors Training courses.
The cost of doing this additional module is £325.00 + Vat.
BTEC Level 3 for Deliverers of Physical Intervention to the Private Security Industry Award (QCF)
From August 2011 all Trainers providing physical intervention training for Door Supervisors are required to hold the Level 3 Award for Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry, which you can obtain for a minimal fee of only £125.00 + Vat when you attend our five-day BTEC Level 3 Advanced Restraint & Breakaway Instructors Course.
When you register and pay for this Award we will send you all of the course documentation and paperwork including a Learner Handout and Workbook, which means that you simply have to read through the Learner Handout and answer the corresponding questions in the Learner Workbook, so that when you arrive on the five-day BTEC Level 3 Advanced Restraint & Breakaway Instructors Course you will be ready to take the required assessments to achieve the above award.
In addition, if you have already completed the Level 2 Physical Intervention Award as part of your Door Supervisors Licensing or Up-Skilling Training (after 2015), then you are exempt having to re-take the Unit 2 Exam and Assessment. The following video explains it in more detail.
FREE Course Material
On successful completion of this Award with us we will provide you with all of the material you require to run the PI Level 2 (Module 4) Unit of the Door Supervisors License to Practice Award for FREE. It will be sent to you either by email download link or on a CD and includes; lesson plans, attendance sheets, post-course questionnaires, license agreements, student manual, power-point presentations, assessment papers, student workbooks, internal verification checklists, and you simply print to demand. There are no other costs involved or payable to us at all. This can save you hundreds of pounds in hidden costs.
The cost of doing this additional module is £125.00 + Vat.
BTEC Level 3 Advanced Award in the Safe & Effective Use of Restraint Equipment (Handcuff Trainer)
For a minimal fee of only £275.00 + Vat, you can attain a Recognised BTEC Level 3 Handcuff Trainers Award.
When you register and pay for this Award we will send you all of the course documentation and paperwork including a Learner Handout and Workbook, which means that you simply have to read through the Learner Handout and answer the corresponding questions in the Learner Workbook. To assist you we have online video resources available as well as links to various other web-site resources enabling you to gain up to date access to all the information you require to complete this award with ease.
On completion of this course, you can opt to run our BTEC Level 2 Award in the Safe and Effective Use of Restraint Equipment via License through us, giving you the option of advertising and offering your clients a National Vocational Qualification in this area.
Here’s a Preview of the Online Resources That You Get Access To When You Join Us
Easy, To Learn, Easy To Remember, Easy To Teach!
We have also had an independent review of our training undertaken by Southampton University on behalf of the Priory Group, one of our large healthcare clients and an extract from the survey is as follows:
“Since moving over to the NFPS system of work we have managed to achieve all of the above points – as well as providing training that keeps our clients and staff safe, a major benefit has seen indirect and direct cost savings.
In addition, we also reduced the number of techniques now taught to staff from 137 to only 7. This is important in that if something is easy to learn it can be easily taught, and, more importantly, easily recalled when required in situations of high emotional arousal.
Recently we conducted an independent comparative survey of the new NFPS system against the previous system used. The research project was undertaken by the University of Southampton and the aim of the report was to ensure that the NFPS system of work is acceptable clinically, ethically and legally.
The findings from the survey were as follows:
1. The training provided by NFPS Ltd is consistent with all of the legal requirements for training that the Priory is expected to comply with, such as: the Mental Health Act , the NHS paper ‘Proposed Standards for Training in the Prevention and Therapeutic Management of Violence in Adult Mental Health Settings  and the Mental Health Act Code of Practice , NICE Guidance , the Care Quality Commission  guidance that highlights staff support, appropriate training, safer services for patients and investment in the workforce with regard to their wellbeing and safety.
2. With regard to the use of force with children and young people the training provided by NFPS Ltd complies with all of the legislative requirements and is consistent with the following legislation: The Children Act 1989, The United Nations Conventions on the Rights of the Child, The Education and Inspections Act 2007 and the relevant guidance issued by various Government departments.
3. The training provided by NFPS Ltd is also compliant with all of the relevant statutory requirements in relation to the use of physical force including; Common and Criminal Law and the Human Rights Act 1998.
4. In addition, the training provided by NFPS ltd meets all of the Health and Safety legislative requirements, including techniques which are developed and assessed for risk consistent with the Manual Handling Regulations 1992.
5. The seven techniques provided by the NFPS system of work provide sufficient restriction of patients to prevent aggressive or violent behaviour and were suitable across all clinical areas that the Priory, including Secure Services, Adults, Adolescents, Acute Services and Eating Disorders.
6. The staff feel supported and able to cope with the circumstances that may arise in all of the service areas because of the simplicity of the techniques and the legal and ethical underpinning the NFPS Ltd system of work provides.
7. All staff that took part in the survey confirmed that the training they receive is easier to work with than the previous system of work used.
The one thing that makes NFPS Ltd stand out is the ongoing support we get. If any advice is needed Mark Dawes is only a phone call or an e-mail away and we are able to call upon him at any time to assist us in any issue that we feel we require his input into – and most of this is done at no additional cost.
The training style used by NFPS is brilliant. Unlike some providers, it is not demonstrative or autocratic. It is totally inclusive. Learners on courses are made to feel very welcome and put at ease right from the start and I think this is because Mark and John know their subject inside-out.
Janet Cowie, Group HRD Manager”
The NFPS / BTEC Level 3 Restraint & Breakaway Instructors Qualifying Course is possibly the most competent course of its kind in the UK today and it is also the most legally accurate course of its kind.
1. Legally Accurate and Defensible Training: The law modules of the training have been legally audited by a Barrister at Law (CBE) to ensure what is taught is legally accurate. The course is also run by one of the UK’s leading Expert Witness on the use of Reasonable Force, an author of four books and someone whose expertise has been sought by the BBC, Sky News, National Radio and the House of Lords and House of Commons. This means that you will get the best possible and most legally accurate training available in this area today, making you more knowledgeable than the majority of other trainers in this field and keeping you safe from prosecution.
2. Based on full Assessments of Risk: The course is also Health and Safety compliant on a number of levels, and has been developed in line with thorough assessments of risk. This affords you a degree of protection from prosecution from negligence, unlike any other course.
3. Techniques that Actually Work: The techniques and system we teach are based on a thorough and bespoke assessment methodology. It is designed to reduce the risk of injury and possible death, and as such compliant with the requirements of the Human Rights Act as well as other competent legislation, guidance and current research in this field. This means that by training with us you will be applying all of the legal requirements within a proven system of work thus reducing risk and your liability fully.
4. Tested in Court and Tribunal: To prove this point, in over 15 years of training we have never lost a Court case or a challenge. This has protected our clients from civil and criminal prosecution and saved them literally thousands of pounds in the process. This means that when you train and qualify with us you will benefit from a proven level or protection unsurpassed by any other training provider in this field.
5. Easy to Learn – Easy to Teach: The real key benefit to our system of restraint & breakaway is that it is simple. All of the above has been woven into a simple and understandable training programme that is; simple to learn, simple to remember and simple to teach. We even provide you with all the resources you need to be able to run and facilitate a course in a professional and competent manner. As a result, we get achievable results, where others only teach skills. By teaching a very practical system of restraint you will be able to improve the confidence of your students and gain immediate integrity and credibility in the marketplace.
6. Instructor Insurance Available: Another benefit of what we can provide is Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance. Once trained with us we can put you in touch with our brokers who can provide you with Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance – specifically stating that you are covered for Physical Restraint & Breakaway Training – at very competitive prices.
7. We Treat People Professionally: Finally, we also prefer to treat people as professionals. This is a professionally run course aimed at making you a professional instructor. As such we don’t bully or beast people on our courses. We aim to help people learn effectively and efficiently by creating ‘Paradigm Changes’ in people by using advanced learning techniques, at the cutting edge of learning and development. This is why so many people actually love training with us. Learning and enjoyment is a mutual co-existence on our courses.
Pearson BTEC Qualifications
BTEC qualifications are awarded by Pearson, the UK’s largest awarding body offering academic and vocational qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked.
A Bit About Pearson Pearson is the world’s leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 70 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their lives through learning.
Peace of Mind
NFPS Ltd put the learner at the centre of everything we do, and our focus is on you with the prime aim of helping you achieve the Award.
OUR 100% NO QUIBBLE – MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
If you attend our Physical Intervention Trainer Course and decide by the end of day 1, for whatever reason, that the course hasn’t met your expectations, or that it just isn’t for you, I will personally give you a 100% refund – no questions asked. So, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Don’t Miss Out!
We only run this Physical Intervention Trainer Course twice a year (in March and in September). This means that places are always in great demand, and because it is a very popular course, places do fill up very quickly.
So if you do not wish to miss out please make sure that you book your place before they all go.
Director, NFPS Ltd
Next Course Date: 30th March – 3rd April 2020
Your Investment – £2,500 + Vat (Which Includes All Food And Accommodation For The Duration of the Course [Monday – Friday])